Romulus Buckle & the City of the Founders (Chronicles of the Pneumatic Zeppelin, #1) - Richard Ellis Preston Jr. This was given to me by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Well. This is not my standard choice. I am not a huge steam punk fan. However, I grabbed this on an impulse and I am not sorry I did. It started a little slow. It was too descriptive. To me, it felt a little like it was saying, "I'm the most steam punk EVER and I'm proving it! See?" In between meeting the characters, there was at least one full page describing their clothing. It was just a touch overdone.
Once that was done and the story actually started, it moved along at a decent pace. When the characters had a chance to speak, I found them engaging and interesting. (Cannot wait to see more Max. Oh, that will be good.) There are so many back stories just waiting to be told.
That was my biggest issue with this book. It felt a tad like an extremely long prologue. It was obviously the first in a new series and it read like one.
A lot of time was spent describing the clothing, the ship, and the world. A lot. A little more than necessary, in my opinion. That being said, it is a very interesting world.
Overall, I did like this book. The ending had me hooked and I've already started the second. I cannot wait to see what happens next to all these characters. I'm also very much hoping for some answers to pretty big questions that were left unanswered.