Fortune's Pawn (Paradox Series)

Fortune's Pawn - Rachel Bach I actually finished this a couple of days ago but I had to give myself time to mull it over. My initial reaction was, "Holy Moly, that was amazing! That ending? How could [a:Rachel Aaron|3504189|Rachel Aaron|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1323576507p2/3504189.jpg] do this to me?!" I wanted to let that feeling die down so that I could think about it objectively. However, after two and a half days, I still feel the same. In fact, I want to tie Rachel Aaron up at her desk, demand she tell me what happens in the second book, and then force her to write it. (I would feed her and wheel her outside for fresh air, honest. I'm not a complete monster.) Was the book perfect in every single way? No. Did it diminish my enjoyment of the book in anyway? Not at all.
This book grabbed me from the first moment I picked it up. It was fast paced, action packed, and full of interesting characters that I can't wait to learn more about.
Devi is such an interesting character. She's badass, sarcastic, and makes no apologies for her behavior. Yet she's also sweet in her interaction with Nova. She's smart and understands how to use things to her benefit. She pays attention to the small details and takes responsibility and loyalty seriously.
The "minor" characters were so well developed and engaging, I don't think of them as minor. They each have a story to tell and I cannot wait until it is told. Nova, Rupert, Hyrek (loved, loved, loved Hyrek), Ren, Caldswell... Oh, simply amazing.
My only real complaint about the book is how many times Devi had to be hauled out (literally) of sticky situations. I understand she's just one woman and can only do so much (but what she does, she does amazingly well) but the major scenes, she was almost a goner. I would have liked for to have defeated the xith'cal on her own, in the very beginning. That, at least, should have been given to her. Just saying.
I can't really think of anything else to say except: READ IT! It's a sci-fi that has the flow and feel of an urban fantasy. It was amazing and laugh out loud funny. It will also make you yell at it. (Bad things do happen.) So good.
Now... About the next one... When is it due?!?

This review is based on a copy provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.