Charming (Pax Arcana)

Charming - Elliott James An ARC copy provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I loved this. I thought it was a really fun (oh, do I dare?), charming book. (I just couldn't pass it up, I apologize.)
I was excited by the premise and I wasn't disappointed. Also, I was intrigued by [a:Kevin Hearne|4414255|Kevin Hearne|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1289238438p2/4414255.jpg]'s blurb on the cover.

Things I enjoyed:
- Elliott James went away from the stereotypical creatures and legends of Urban Fantasy. (I really enjoyed bringing back the vampires vs. rushing water. No one really seems to do that one any more.) Everything was recognizable but it wasn't strictly weres and vamps.
- Molly. I loved her! I need her to play a bigger role in the next book. She's quirky and cute and I adored her. (Christmas in April because vampires scare her and Christmas makes her happy? Who thinks of that?)
- The humor. This book was hilarious. Some how Elliott James found just the right note to play the obvious pun and still make me laugh. Puns aside, (I'll have more on those later) the titles of the chapters made me giggle, too.
- The info-dumps. While sometimes they seemed to happen in odd moments, pulling me a little out of the story, I appreciated the information more than not. There was some really interesting tid-bits and it wasn't always just about the myths/legends of the creatures.
- Last but not least, John himself. He is such a fun character. I think there is a complexity there that we just haven't been shown yet. I'm hoping it will be explored more in the next book, what with his new challenges and all.

Things I maybe didn't enjoy as much:
- Sig. I know I should like her, if for no other reason than John does. But really? Couldn't she be just a tad more likable? She's stiff, cold and treats those around her badly unless in a professional capacity. She's also a bit of a blabber mouth. I didn't understand why John wasn't more angry with her for telling everyone his secret identity. He's been in hiding for how long and this chick just tells everyone.
I don't feel like she got the time to really grow on me. It was just about how hot and strong she was. Which leads to...
- Insta-love. I was really disappointed with this, actually. I was hoping for more. There was no real development of their feelings. John barely knew anything about Sig (aside from tall, thin, gorgeous blonde) before he was trying to put moves on her.
- The puns. (Told you I'd come back to it) Some of them were a little too obvious. Honestly, it was the puns that weren't meant to be puns but were that was the problem. Does that make sense? Example: A vampire would come to a "dead stop. No pun intended." Those were a little too cheesy for my tastes.

Overall, I loved this. It was fast paced, lots of action, lots of humor, twists and turns everywhere. It was a lot of fun. I cannot wait for the next. I'm very interested to see what happens to John Charming.